Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Project: Northfield Abridged

Welcome to my to-be-sporadically updated blog!

As a modeller I am mostly into either OO/HO and N scale and that is what will be primarily shown as per my own work. However I have an appreciation for all scales whether it be T scale or right up to ride on miniature trains, so there is plenty of variation to be had. I will be making posts not only about my own work but also that done by others, models of interest and some points about the 1:1 scale railways themselves.

The annual big train show here in South Australia is the Adelaide Model Railway Exhibition, held at Greyhound Park. In the past few years I have attended with a Club layout (HO or N) but for the 2014 show I am constructing a layout of my own, with an unusual construction method.

Northfield Abridged is a layout in HO scale constructed entirely using wooden A4 sized 'Box Files' of the kind sold by Officeworks or newsagents. It depicts the mostly single track former broad gauge railway line from Dry Creek to Northfield, although for size and compression only the section from Cavan to the terminus at Northfield is shown, and then without the extensive 'stockyard' sidings near the Pooraka abattoirs. 

Such a layout is an excellent start for anyone wanting to have a dabble in model railways without committing to woodwork or who lack the funds for something more substantial. As such I intend to present the layout mostly of an alternative to the traditional model railway construction to get beginners and such interested in 'having a go'.

The Northfield line is a somewhat difficult one to model without being good at building structures as none of the station buildings along the line are available as kits! henceforth almost everything I have built for the layout has been scratch-built entirely by myself.

Pictures of the Work-in-progress will soon follow, comments are always welcome.

Matt



1 comment:

  1. Hi Matt, nice to see someone using the fold away idea for your On30, and am looking forward to seeing your Northfield line, cheers, Gavin. thrumlington.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete